Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 17 Feb 2005 06:53:07 -0800

snip

>> Sorry I don't understand what you mean by "0 - yes, ZERO - seconds
>> continue to operate". And I guess I thought that was Dan saying
that.

>The recovery of the failed node's transactions is automatic and
handled
>by the remaining nodes. With negligeable impact in any other node.

Sorry but "... impact in any other node".

No, the correct answer is it depends. How many nodes in the cluster, how much work needed to re-master resources, how much work needed to actually do recovery, etc.

There are multiple passes performed during instance recovery by the instance responsible for the recovery. In the worst case of course the instance that is starting to do the recovery also fails.

Unlikely? Very unlikely... but possible.

> Unless of course you were running a HUGE batch job in the failed
node.
> In which case you'll impact the performance of whatever other node
> initiates the auto recovery of such job. Enter the load balancer

"unless" or "in which case" ... Ok are you agreeing that the zero seconds answer is not totally accurate?

In the real world, lots of people do run HUGE batch jobs ... all the time. In the world I live in, lots of people have a smaller rather than larger number of nodes in their RAC clusters. Received on Thu Feb 17 2005 - 08:53:07 CST