Data Guard question

From: Praveen <spraveen2001_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2005 22:20:05 -0800

Hi All,

We have a requirement to enable a backup system in each location, which will work as a stand alone system when the network is down, and will have to synchronize the data to the central database once the network is up.

There are 2 options we can have:

  1. Let the application run as a standalone version and all the requests from within that location be served by that local server and at regular intervals synchronize the central database.
  2. Let the central application/database serve all the requests from all the locations, and have a standalone version of the application/database in each location take over whenever there is a network failure.

For this requirement, i was planning for oracle's Data Guard which suits #2. Becuase for each location if we setup data guard between central location. So that local standby db server can be used and whenever the network comes up, the central db will be synchronized with local standby dbs. How this switching over from local standby db server to central db and central db to standby db can be done? Is the application server have to do this or manually we have to point to standby db created by Data Guard? If we wanted to switchover automatically then how can perform?

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Praveen Received on Wed Feb 16 2005 - 00:20:05 CST