Re: Password Verification Function Help

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:57:00 GMT

<kingkongbubdy4_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1108311434.711244.266470_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am relatively new to Oracle 9i and trying to (at this point) create a
> password verification function for the DEFAULT profile that will allow
> me to produce some output to the screen (if possible) when I change a
> user password. I have....
>
> CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION verify_function
> (username varchar2, password varchar2, old_password varchar2)
> RETURN boolean is
> BEGIN
> dbms_output.put_line('Hello World');
> return(TRUE);
> END;
> /
>
> The commands (as sys sysdba)
> SQL> alter profile default limit password_verify_function
> verify_function;
> SQL>set serveroutput on;
> SQL> alter user test_user identified by new_password;
>
> report no errors, but I do not get 'Hello World' to show up on the
> screen. I can create other functions on the server and they will
> produce output to the screen ('Hello World' e.g. ) as
>
> SQL>exec dbms_output.put_line( my_other_function(arg_list));
>
> Is it possible to get output to the screen through the
> PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION when a password is changed? If so, can anyone
> point me in the right direction? If not, can the the equivalent 'Hello
> World' output be saved to a file instead of the screen?
>
> Thanks,
> kingkong

Too lazy to verify this myself...
However, make sure you *test* the verify function while logged in as a non-sys user.
If I remember correctly, password verify function is not called when logged in as SYS ... or the errors / output from the function is ignored while logged in as SYS.

Anurag Received on Sun Feb 13 2005 - 16:57:00 CST