Re: Corporate Wide Public Synonyms

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2005 14:34:11 -0800

as far as I know, there is nothing inherently wrong with *creating* public synonyms.
as far as actually *using* them, that is another matter. Dependency tracking with public synonyms is less useful that when using private synonyms.

"corporate-wide", so you only have one database for all applications, including dev/qa/prod?

Steve Adams lists public synonyms as one of his "seven deadly sins". I don't think that the particular paper is available publicly. Here are a couple of links to his discussions on the subject.

http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/0105/05154451.htm http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/0104/12170921.htm

You might try a search of metalink on the subject also - but those notes might not agree with the findings in the pages above.

-bdbafh Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 16:34:11 CST