Re: ODBC setup

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2005 10:00:12 -0800

Turkbear wrote:
> "Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >tunity5_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >> Does ODBC have its own protocol to connect to an (Oracle)
database?
> >Or
> >> does it use Oracle's own protocols (such as SQL*Net) to establish
> >> connection to the database? Database is 9i hosted on an HP
server,
> >and
> >> ODBC is to be from a Windows XP PC.
> >>

> >> Thanks!
> >
> >Both MS and Oracle ODBC drivers need Oracle middleware
> >(SQL*Net/Net8/Net9 etc). Not sure about any other vendors but I will
be
> >surprised if they don't need it. Oracle middleware is installed by
> >default with both client and server install.
> >
> >Regards
> >/Rauf
>
> There are some ODBC drivers that are direct connect ( called wire
protocol) that do not need the Oracle client ( SqlNet)
> installed-- they connect directly through the Listener ( like a Java
Thin connection ) by specifying the host:port:instance
> in the config file.
>
> One company's versions are here:
>
> http://www.datadirect.com/products/odbc/index.ssp
>
> ( Not meant as an endorsement and there may be others)

Have you used this product?
I just downloaded the eval copy of Data direct and installed just the Oracle wire protocol driver. To test a clientless connection, I temporarily renamed my Oracle home. When testing the connection during the DSN setup, it worked Ok with "Connection successfull" message so I was impressed. BUT when trying to link a test table from Access, it kept throwing (-7748) error. No issues when I recreated the DSN using Oracle ODBC driver.

Unless I am doing something wrong... I am back to being unimpressed :->)

Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 12:00:12 CST