Re: ODBC setup

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:31:17 -0600

"Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>tunity5_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> Does ODBC have its own protocol to connect to an (Oracle) database?
>Or
>> does it use Oracle's own protocols (such as SQL*Net) to establish a
>> connection to the database? Database is 9i hosted on an HP server,
>and
>> ODBC is to be from a Windows XP PC.
>>

>> Thanks!
>
>Both MS and Oracle ODBC drivers need Oracle middleware
>(SQL*Net/Net8/Net9 etc). Not sure about any other vendors but I will be
>surprised if they don't need it. Oracle middleware is installed by
>default with both client and server install.
>
>Regards
>/Rauf

There are some ODBC drivers that are direct connect ( called wire protocol) that do not need the Oracle client ( SqlNet) installed-- they connect directly through the Listener ( like a Java Thin connection ) by specifying the host:port:instance in the config file.

One company's versions are here:

http://www.datadirect.com/products/odbc/index.ssp

( Not meant as an endorsement and there may be others) Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 10:31:17 CST