Re: Remote Oracle Conncetion Issue on Suse 9

From: Ingo Peters <ipeters_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:59:32 -0600

On 2005-02-08, gbeck01_at_snet.net <gbeck01_at_snet.net> wrote:
> When I try to tnsping from a remote PC I get a " TNS: operation timed
> Out" message. I'm pretty sure that my DNS is setup okay since I can
> ping the Linux box remotely and ftp to it using the hostname used in my
> tnsnames.ora file. Is there something special I need to do to enable
> ports 1521 and 1526? It is almost like the Linux boxis ignoring the
> incoming requests for those ports. I see nothing in the listener log
> indicating an attempt to ping (or connect). Is this a firewall issue?
> How do I check this and where do I start? Sorry if there is a stupid
> answer, I'm relatively new to Linux.

Run "netstat -an" to see whether your listener is listening. Then check your /var/log/messages to see whether the firewall is dropping any packets (if you have logging enabled, which it usually is for critical packets).
Even better, turn off the firewall "rcSuSEfirewall2 stop" and try it again.

Regards,

Ingo Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 06:59:32 CST