Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:10:19 -0500

VC wrote:
> "Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
>

>>Isn't it ironic that if SQL Server 2005 ever ships it will be the only
>>mainstream DBMS supporting all major isolation levels?

> What exactly do you mean by the above ? What are "major isolation levels" ?
> IBMS's DB2, among others, supports all the *standard* isolation levels
> while Oracle does not.

If I'm not mistaken SQL Server falls under "among others". In addition SQL Server 2005 allegedly supports multi versioning. IMHO this makes SQL Server 2005 a serious threat to Oracle. If my experience in this group has lead me to any opinon, it's that the isolation level is the most religeous of all issues. Having support in a competitive product will have an effect on the market place. Tools can do a lot of automated mapping of dialects of SQL. Mapping isolation levels automatically.. I dare to doubt.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau