Re: temporary tablespace - managing extents

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_Dunbar-it.co.uk.REMOVETHIS>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:10:41 +0100

vertigo wrote:
> Hello

Morning Vertigo,

> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp TEMPFILE '/usr/f1' SIZE 2M AUTOEXTEND ON;
>
> Does this tablespace has locally or dictionary managed extents ?

This creates a locally managed tablespace. You have specified TEMPFILE which means LMTs will be the flavour of the day.

> I found in documentation clausule EXTENT MANAGEMEMENT LOCAL, and there
> is no clausule 'EXTENT MANAGEMEMENT DICTIONARY' what would suggest that
> by default temporary tablespace is dictionary managed. But in other
> documentation i found that temporary tablespace has locally managed
> extents by default (how/can i create dictionary managed tablespace in
> such case?).

You would use the 'old style' CREATE TABLESPACE temp DATAFILE '.......'
SIZE ...
TEMPORARY; Then make sure by checking DBA_TABLESPACES that it is actually a TEMPORARY tablespace. I've had some strange occurrances in the dark past (Oracle 7 and 8.0) whereby a tablespace created as above was not, in fact, TEMPORARY. I suspect it isn't a problem anymore under 9i/10g, but I always check if I have to create a DMT - which I almost never have to do nowadays, LMTs rock !

> Thanx
> Michal

Welcome !

Regards,
Norm. Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 04:10:41 CST