Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2005 13:43:21 -0800

Mark A wrote:

>2. The concept of primary keys and foreign key >relationships "have"
always
>existed in relational databases, but they were not >part of any
relational
>SQL syntax that I know about until about 1988.

At that time, it was not yet certain that SQL was going to be the primary data interchange language. Other languages had other syntax.

I jumped on the bandwagon at that time, but merely because Oracle/unix appeared headed towards commercial success (dominance was not assured).  I still don't think SQL is the best language for what it is used for, but it's too late to change now.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"There were an average of 1.3 changes every day from the FBI, for a