Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:25:03 -0700

"Ed Prochak" <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com> wrote in message news:dTZMd.228> >
> BUT since we are discussing the data model here, I am pretty sure Codd
> discusses Primary Keys in his work on relational databases. Normalization
> rules make no sense without them.
> --
> Ed Prochak

  1. Primary Keys by themselves, without foreign keys are not what most people think of when they "declared" referential integrity is mentioned.
  2. The concept of primary keys and foreign key relationships "have" always existed in relational databases, but they were not part of any relational SQL syntax that I know about until about 1988. Prior to that, Primary keys were enforced with unique indexes, and foreign key relationships were enforced by the application programs that inserted, updated, or deleted data.