Re: Intenational character sets

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:55:30 +0100

Joel Garry wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>>Think about P15 if they're ever going to have to handle Euros.
>>>
>>>jg
>>>--
>>>@home.com is bogus.
>>>

> http://www.dilbert.com/spanish/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20040603.html
>
>>Better not, it maps the Euro to a non-Microsoft mapping,
>>causing dreaded question marks to display in web-environments.
>>It *does* use the official mapping, though, which is not the
>>one Microsoft (0x80, or ALT-0128) uses.
>>
>>Long story short: MS got fed up with waiting for the EU commision
>>to decide what charactermapping to be used for the €... Oracle

> waited
>
>>for and implemented the official mapping.
>>
>>Stick to AL16UTF16 (MB), or WE8MSWIN1252 (SB), if dealing web/MS.

> Aw heck, I thought I had it figured out. I've got a project coming up
> with browser based middleware on IIS to hp-ux 9iR2 (IIS not my choice,
> but OAS did not impress those who chose). Did I mess up making it P15?
> What should it be? I think from Note: 137127.1 and Note:179133.1 that
> I merely have to set whatever it is the middleware uses to be a client
> using NLS_LANG=...WE8MSWIN1252, but not having it to play with yet
> makes me so insecure.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> If you are going to blow up a whale, bring an umbrella.

Well, back in the 8.1.6/8.1.7 for Windows days, I ran against that specific problem (and the fact replication broke in 8.1.6, and shared_socket in 8.1.7 - want more rock/hard places?).

I'd stick to MSWIN1252, as it should store anything a MS Windows client can throw at it.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel