Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:20:57 GMT

On 2005-01-30, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> Mark A wrote:
>
>> Earlier, I criticized you for editing my comments instead of showing my
>> entire post. But this time you have outdone yourself, only repeating my name
>> ("Mark A wrote:"):
>
> Comment left in even though it is irrevant to my response just so you
> won't whine.
>
>> What I said is that outsourcing companies charge their customers by the node
>> for operational support of nodes. They usually charge by the node (about
>> $1000 per node) for the cost of the network administrators, UNIX
>> administrators, and DBA's.
>
> Then consider any one of the following:
> 1. Get a better outsourcing company
> 2. Don't use an outsourcing company

        That's a red herring. The outsourcing company is not likely extracting it's pricing number from it's rectum. Such companies have to be cost competitive like anyone else and they compete with inhouse services. If they can think that they can price on a per node basis then there is likely some meaningful justification for this.

        For those of us contemplating RAC, your argument is simplistic and not very compelling.

> I was not talking about the cost of Oracle
>> licenses.
>
> In other words you were trying to change the subject. No one has ever
> tried to do that before.

        Any discussion of RDBMS costs that focuses solely on software licencing costs for the core RDBMS is of course entirely meaningless and quite pointless.

        There is of course always the distinction between doing things as cheaply as you possibly can versus doing them right. This can often account for the difference in cost between inhouse DBA support and outsourcing.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \