Re: Need help with oracle 9i

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 21:53:19 -0800

Comments embedded.

David Fitzjarrell

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> [snip!]
>

> > LogMiner might be of use to you, as DML and DDL is recorded in the
redo
> > logs. Otherwise you'll need a recent export of the database to
> > restore what you've lost.
> >

> > David Fitzjarrell
> >
> But that would be virtually undoable, as you would need to
> was issued, wouldn't it?

Yes, and no, depending upon how recently the objects were created.

> Never having used logminer, is it required to have all logs
> on disk from now to the time you want to mine, or is it allowed
> to have gaps?
> Like, I know it's been 3 months ago, so I'll get some logs back
> from the November 2004 tape, no more.

LogMiner operates on a single log at a time, if I remember correctly from the last time I used it. Gaps in the logs are acceptable, and, depending upon how far back the archived logs are dated LogMiner may be able to resurrect the objects in question. Note I said *may* be able to, and in my original response you've partially quoted here I also said LogMiner *might* be of use. Such utilities are never a guarantee of success; the only certain way of restoring the dropped objects outside of recreating them from scripts (which *WILL* replace the objects but not the data) is to import them from a recent export. The discussion was originally suggesting the use of flashback query to restore the objects, something flashback query cannot do as it won't recreate the original create statements and cannot recover the lost data since the object being queried must exist. LogMiner is the only utility I can think of outside of imp/exp that could bring these objects back from the dead. Hence, my post. And, the import scenario is still the best suggestion I can make.