Re: Intenational character sets

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:34:39 -0600

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:45:25 +0100, Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>Joel Garry wrote:
>>>WE8ISO8859P1
>>

>> Think about P15 if they're ever going to have to handle Euros.
>>
>> jg
>> --
>> @home.com is bogus.
>> http://www.dilbert.com/spanish/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20040603.html
>>
>Better not, it maps the Euro to a non-Microsoft mapping,
>causing dreaded question marks to display in web-environments.
>It *does* use the official mapping, though, which is not the
>one Microsoft (0x80, or ALT-0128) uses.
>
>Long story short: MS got fed up with waiting for the EU commision
>to decide what charactermapping to be used for the €... Oracle waited
>for and implemented the official mapping.
>
>Stick to AL16UTF16 (MB), or WE8MSWIN1252 (SB), if dealing web/MS.

Interesting, and I'll make a note for future reference. However, it doesn't look as if Euro support will be necessary. The need for French support is being driven by operations in Quebec, not Europe. Plus, I think the ball is out of my court now anyway -- I was also able to determine that this particular db is supposed to be supported by a DBA at another location. It remains to be seen what happens with that.
Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Wed Feb 02 2005 - 07:34:39 CST