RE: Questions about SQL*Developer CLI for exporting data

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:29:11 -0500

It must have been someone else then. It was reminder from Mike Prince to carefully consider what you really needed and which would finish faster before you dominated our two async 44 kbps modems between the Lebanon, NH IT shop and the Burlington, NJ corporate headquarters and new data center. (Which also meant baby-sitting them for restarts.)

Including the ride to the bus station in White River Junction before the midnight bus and employee pick-up in Burlington, NJ in the morning overnight was easy, and if you went early 6 AM to about 4 PM was possible.

Even one tape beat the async modem bandwidth, and if you sent a box full of tapes you could send all the rev-1, production, and pending release code for everything we had, with room for data to spare.

The concept is the same. Only the quantities have changed. Bandwidth, of course, not to be confused with latency nor the urgency of, say, off site copies of redo logs. Literally moving the storage farm is a story for another day.

All the best and happy holidays!

mwf

From: Tim Gorman [mailto:tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 12:58 PM To: Mark W. Farnham; gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Questions about SQL*Developer CLI for exporting data

I don't recall that story, but I do remember a similar story on almost the same route after skiing with high school buddies in my three-on-the-tree 1973 Dodge van involving select holistic pharmaceuticals and 8-track tapes like "Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs", "Little Feat: Waiting For Columbus", and "Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed". It could be the same story, after being filtered by a few tellings?

On 12/14/2020 8:18 AM, Mark W. Farnham wrote:

Is this related to not underestimating the bandwidth of a box of 9 track tapes on a Greyhound bus from Lebanon, NH to Burlington, NJ?

(As I recall you also had a similar usage story circa 1989 or thereabouts)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tim Gorman Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2020 1:31 PM
To: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Questions about SQL*Developer CLI for exporting data

Not floppies, but several Azure Data Box Heavy <https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/databox/gateway/> will be used for this task, which should be a little faster than the two weeks it would take to push 1.25 PB over a 10 Gbps network link.

However, since the customer has decided not to upgrade their 200 Mbps link to 10 Gbps, the Data Boxes should be much faster than the 652 days it would otherwise to push that 1.25 PB.

Or so we hope...

On 12/12/2020 9:38 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:

You can still export data to floppy disks and send them Microsoft by snail mail. Neither sleet nor snow...

The only problem is where to buy floppies. I haven't seen them in stores for a while now. I am preparing my own letter to Microsoft. I've been a good boy throughout the year and I deserve some presents.

On 12/12/20 1:13 AM, Norman Dunbar wrote:

Tim, et al,

Due to security, there was no way we were allowed a network connection between current production and Azure.