RE: Questions about SQL*Developer CLI for exporting data

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 07:07:15 -0800 (PST)

I’m going to pretend you’re using this to NOT migrate someone off of Oracle.

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 10:01 AM To: Øyvind Isene <oyvind.isene_at_gmail.com> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Questions about SQL*Developer CLI for exporting data

That was what I needed, thanks so much!  I had read the article, but hadn't realized what the screenshot was showing; I'm still one of those who looks for words; gotta adapt.

On 12/9/2020 10:34 PM, Øyvind Isene wrote:

Have you seen this post by Jeff Smith: HYPERLINK "https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2018/11/scheduling-exports-of-your-data-using-the-cart/__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!KaKXZXJi8W4npwgOUkMp-_kR74jdRskW0Yucw7dEl3XBYPG94qzhs18AnkdHR1RYlwE$"https://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2018/11/scheduling-exports-of-your-data-using-the-cart/ ?

It has a screenshot that shows how to generate the configfile.

tor. 10. des. 2020 kl. 02:42 skrev Tim Gorman <HYPERLINK "mailto:tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com"tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>:

Hi all,

I'm working with SQL Developer to export tables from a database down to text files, specifically delimited files.  Interestingly enough, there does not appear to be an abundance of documentation or blog posts on this functionality for some reason?  Maybe I'm missing out?

When I use the export tools from the graphical interface of SQL Developer, everything seems to work fine.  However, my customer has thousands of tables to export, so I am thinking that the SQL Developer command-line tool "sdcli" will be useful.

First, I'm using the View > Cart functionality to create a shopping cart, and then save the cart definition to an XML file, and then run SDCLI...

./sdcli.exe cart export -cart ./system_clobtable_cart.xml Config argument is missing.  -config <config> is required.

OK, that's understandable.  After all, I haven't specified connection information to the database anywhere, so presumably that goes in this missing configuration file.  The question is:  how do I generate it?

Googling keywords like "sdcli cart export -config" yields nothing useful.  Searching on the same keywords in HYPERLINK "http://support.oracle.com"support.oracle.com yield nothing either.

However, command-line help from the "sdcli.exe" command yields a little bit more information...

./sdcli.exe cart export -help
CART EXPORT
Syntax:
export -cart <savedcart.xml> -config|cfg <exportconfig.xml> [-target|tgt <dirorfilename>] [-logfile <filenameorstderr>] export -deffile <exportdefinitionfile>
The cart export command is used to export the contents of a previously saved cart.  The options used for the export are identified in a saved export configuration file.  The export file(s) can be saved to a different target file which must be compatible with the save as type specified in the configuration file. Options
-cart <savedcart.xml> a saved cart file.  Use one of the save buttons for an open cart to create a saved cart file.  The file identifies the set of objects, if they are to be included in the export and if ddl and/or data is to be exported.
-config|cfg <exportconfig.xml> a configuration file for a cart export.  Use the save button on the export tool to create a saved configuration file.  The file will include the options to be used for the export.
-logfile|log <filenameorstderr> log to specified log file or to stderr.  If option is not specified no logging is done.
-deffile<exportdefinitionfile> file containing the options to be used for the cart export.
-help|h show help text for cart export
Examples:
cart export -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/exporttools.xml Export the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in exporttools.xml cart export -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/exporttools.xml -log stderr Export the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in exporttools.xml.  Write all log messages to stderr. cart export -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/exporttools.xml -log /home/carts/export.log Export the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in exporttools.xml.  Write all log messages to file export.log.  Deletes existing log file. cart export -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/exporttools.xml -tgt /home/carts/export2.sql Export the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in exporttools.xml.  Override the name of the export file with tgt. cart export -def /home/carts/export.def
Export using options in export.def.
Command Completed.

The help message above (highlighted in red typeface) seems to indicate how to create the configuration XML file with "Use the save button on the export tool to create a saved configuration file".  Sounds reasonable, so I go back to the graphical console for SQL Developer, and I do find the Database Export wizard by going to Tools > Database Export..., but that is a pure wizard with no Save button anywhere.  Also, I can right-click on the table name in the left-hand navigation bar, and select Export... but that brings up the same wizard with no Save button anywhere.

So, I cannot figure out how to create the necessary configuration XML file required by SDCLI.

I'm tired of guessing.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

--

Øyvind Isene