Re: Materalized View Refresh after upgrade - Oracle 11g to 12c

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:58:09 +0100

I'm wondering if someone has mis-interpreted the requirement to refresh all the existing MVs so that all the mv logs are empty before the upgrade. A recent posting on the Developer Forum reported the following from the pre-upgrade (12.1 SE to 18c) assessment:

      Oracle recommends that all materialized views (MV's) are refreshed before

      upgrading the database because this will clear the MV logs and the

      sumdelta$ table, and make the UPGRADE process faster. If you choose to

      not refresh some MVs, the change data for those MV's will be carried

      through the UPGRADE process. After UPGRADE, you can refresh the MV's and

      MV incremental refresh should work in normal cases. It's possible that your system will have different requirements because it's lower versions involved, but it doesn't sound as if there's anything in there to do with "old references not being valid". The report does, however,, contain the following:

     If there are any stale

      MVs depending on changes in sys.sumdelta$, do not truncate it, because

      doing so will cause wrong results after refresh. This, perhaps, is where the "old references not being valid" is supposed to be relevant.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis