Re: Adaptive plans bypassed - but why ?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 17:39:47 -0400

Hi Martin!

The query seems to be huge and heavily hinted. The "TEMP_TABLE_TRANSFORMATION" is most likely caused by the "MATERIALIZE" hint. Basically, such queries are unmanageable. This query should be a candidate for a rewrite, using slice & dice CTE. The "WITH" clause makes the queries more logical and readable. You seem to be dealing with a monolithic query of frightening proportions. Such queries are usually not a part of COTS applications, they are reporting queries written by the customer. Using materialized view proves that beyond reasonable doubt. That means that the query is an in-house monstrosity which can be rewritten. I understand that this is not an answer to your question, but this is the best advice I can give you.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant