Re: PDB refresh

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:27:50 +0000

Something that may have slipped your notice, the refresh only happens if the PDB is closed. If it is open, the refresh is skipped. When I wrote about this I said,

"The auto-refresh is only possible if the PDB is closed. This sounds odd, but the auto-refresh is meant to be used when the refreshable PDB is a source of a chain of clones. As such, you would open it read-only, use it as the source of a new clone, then close it again, so it can stay up to date. If you want the PDB to be open read-only most of the time, it's better to define your own job that closes, refreshes and opens the PDB again."

https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/multitenant-pdb-refresh-12cr2

This has always been the case, and is still documented this way in 20c.

"A refreshable PDB must be closed when a refresh is performed. If it is not closed when automatic refresh is attempted, then the refresh is deferred until the next scheduled refresh. If it is not closed when a user attempts to perform manual refresh, then an error is reported."

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/20/multi/cloning-a-pdb.html#GUID-30E0CC68-4F4C-4E58-9451-6390406D90A1

Cheers

Tim...