Re: RHEL 8

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 15:07:24 +0000

It's hard to tell. In sessions Oracle say they aren't expecting people to upgrade to 20c, but instead wait for the next long term support release. Maybe 23c or something like that. The logic went, stick with the LTS release unless you know you need something from a later release. If that something is OL8 support, then maybe you're correct, but I think people will be wanting to start the move to OL8 before the next LTS release of the database. OL7 ends it's normal cycle at 2024. I'm not happy about installing it for new stuff now, let alone for the next 3 years. If Oracle don't support 19c on OL8, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people along the way.

Pretty sure the a new preinstall package could make the install happy. When I was doing it, all I had to add was this.

export CV_ASSUME_DISTID=OEL7.6

Cheers

Tim...