RE: Question on database fleet maintenance patching

From: <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 17:44:59 -0800

I have written Puppet code to fully patch Oracle databases with all steps being automated.

The whole point of automation is to make it a completely repeatable process and eliminate the need for humans for patching. There is much more valuable work for the humans than patching.

Patching takes about 15 minutes along with be able to patch multiple systems at a time so a singular human is much more efficient.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Clay Jackson (cjackson) Sent: Monday, December 23, 2019 4:33 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Question on database fleet maintenance patching

Well, I suppose you could use some sort of automation/orchestration tool; there are lots out there, from DBMS_JOB to Puppet/Chef and lots of others.

But, do you REALLY want to trust patching your databases that presumably contain data of greater than zero value to some automated process? I’ve seen too many patch processes “go awry” to want to trust automation.

That said, of course you SHOULD have some sort of script that you run repeatedly (avoid typos or sequencing errors); but, automation as in “unattended” would not be my choice.

Just my $.02…..

Clay Jackson

Database Solutions Sales Engineer

 <mailto:clay.jackson_at_quest.com> clay.jackson_at_quest.com

office 949-754-1203 mobile 425-802-9603

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> > On Behalf Of Tharmarajah, Sam Sent: Monday, December 23, 2019 2:24 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Question on database fleet maintenance patching

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi All,

We have been asked to reduce the number of personals involved during our quarterly database patching. I was looking into using the fleet maintenance. Upon doing a POC, I notice the process of deploying the software job, awaits for manual step run and confirmation at three different points (new oracle home dir creation, pre -root run section and post root.sh run section), in spite of providing the normal and privileged credentials . We are wondering if there is a way to have these steps be run as part of the process automatically, instead of running manually.

Example:

./emcli db_software_maintenance -performOperation -name="deploy195" -purpose=DEPLOY_DB_SOFTWARE -target_type=oracle_database -target_list=xyz.com -normal_credential=FLEETMGR_STANDARD:SYSMAN -privilege_credential=FLEETMGR_PRIVILEGED:SYSMAN -input_file="data:/oracle/local/config/xyz.inp"

The .inp file

NEW_ORACLE_HOME_LIST=/oracle/product/195

workingDir=/backup/tmp

The databases we are trying patch is 19.x

We have EM 13.3c

Our advance thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanx,

Sam