Re: Standby First upgrades

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 19:23:02 -0400

On 8/20/19 3:26 PM, Neil Chandler wrote:

> Andrew is correct - you can do this using a "transient" logical
> standby, subject to the usual logical standby restrictions (certain
> datatypes aren't allowed, etc)
>
> The method and relevant MOS links is documented by the Oracle Upgrade
> PM here, so I won't repeat it on the list:
> https://mikedietrichde.com/2018/05/09/transient-logical-standby-rolling-upgrades-overview/

Hi Neil!

This is about *rolling* upgrade. If I understood Howard correctly, he's not trying to do a rolling upgrade. He's simply trying to upgrade standby first, in order to have standby ready when the primary is upgraded. And that would, almost certainly, work.  However, there is nothing better than trying. Put VirtualBox on one of your servers and try doing what  you need. If the thing succeeds with a small DB containing only demo accounts, it will most likely succeed with a large production DB.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant