OT: Re: Golden Gate agent and java problem?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 15:22:13 -0400

Andrew, this is an off-topic reply, motivated by your last sentence, about Oracle screwing up Java language. I am the first one to lay the blame on Oracle Corp. when the situation merits it, but they are innocent here. Java was pretty screwed up at its inception, when it was operated by Scott McNealy's  SUN Microsystems. The screw-up happened on the theoretical level. The whole concept of the OO programming was pretty much messed up, from the beginning:

https://developers.slashdot.org/story/19/07/22/0426201/is-object-oriented-programming-a-trillion-dollar-disaster

I have been forced to switch to Python from Perl, as Python is "pure OO". As a result, my scripts are now 3 times as long and there is no Comprehensive Python Archive Network, CPAN for short. I admire Oracle for keeping Perl in use.

For Jeff Smith: a way of making SQL*Developer way better than it is now would be to rewrite it in Perl.

On 8/17/19 1:33 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> I have been experimenting with the Oracle golden gate agent, or at
> least trying to.  After 3 or 4 tries, I finally managed to install a
> version of the oracle java jdk that could be used to install the
> agent, 1.8.0.222-b10.  However, when I start the agent I see this
> error in the log (repeating):
>
> [2019-08-16T18:59:56.758-05:00] [JAGENT] [ERROR] [OGGMON-20609]
> [com.goldengate.monitor.jagent.comm.ws.ManagerService] [tid:
> MessageCollector] [ecid: 0000MmR6WPWFg4c5xj9DiW1TLgxT000001,0]
> Unsuccessful connection response from Message Web Service. Query
> String: messages/last ; Response Code: 404 ; Response Message: Not Found
>
> I am guessing this is a Java version error, considering all the
> trouble I have had with this, but does anyone have a solution? I have
> tried the most recent version of Oracle Java, and that wouldnt install
> the agent, so I dont think that will fix the issue.
>
> Agent version 12.2.1.2.0, Oracle version 19, Goldengate version 19.1.
> OEL64.
>
> As a side note, does anyone else think Oracle has really screwed up
> the Java language without providing any real documentation on the subject?
>
> --
> Andrew W. Kerber

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant