Re: containers

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 08:16:38 +0100

Hi.

We are using Docker for the application layer mostly. We have out Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS) running on Tomcat inside Docker. It's awesome and saves me so much time and is so much more flexible compared to when I was using regular tomcat instances. I think Docker fits in the middle tier so well that I now get annoyed when I have to use a regular VM.

For one project I do web servers (Nginx), app servers (Rails) and databases (PorsgreSQL) all in Docker, using Swarm to define the infrastructure. I'm very happy with it. Small footprint database etc. Every weekend I rebuild all the images and replace the whole infrastructure with the latest & greatest in a few minutes. The "maintenance window" is a complete replacement of the entire stack. Docker is awesome for this. Obviously, config and data is kept in persistent volumes so it isn't lost.

Typically I wouldn't recommend using Oracle in Docker. It works. I do it for demos, but really it's a play thing. I can't imagine doing anything serious with an Oracle database and Docker. Speaking to other folks, I get the same vibe from them. Large monolithic applications (Oracle, WebLogic etc.) don't play too well with Docker. They don't follow the typical container lifecycle of throw it away and replace with a newer version of the software.

I've written a bunch of stuff about it here.

https://oracle-base.com/articles/linux/articles-linux#docker

I think that pretty much sums up my opinion on it, but it is just my opinion. :)

Cheers

Tim...