Re: Checking if a RAC database has one or more node down

From: Luis Santos <lsantos_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 09:44:39 -0300

Thanks for all replies!

Let's dig into my need. When I said *just SQL* I mean that my need is to know if a RAC node is down while connected, and just connected, to the database. No matter the node. Of course I'm aware of srvctl ou crsctl commands, but they are out of my need scope.

And querying GV$INSTANCE alone will no work. If a node is down it will be missing from GV$INSTANCE, but how much nodes is my goal?

Digging again: I'm talking about a simple monitoring script. With no human (*or AI robot*) DBA querying.

Up to now I have been using, with relative sucess, the comparision of count(*) from GV$INSTANCE to the value of cluster_database_instances database parameter.

But now we have a Exadata machine with 8 nodes, but with only 4 nodes actives for a specific RAC database. The count(*) from its GV$INSTANCE é 4 and the value from cluster_database_instances parameter is 8.

So, my qustion again: is it possible to design a simple query, while connected to RAC databases, to show if one (or more) node(s) from the, let's say, desired count of instances, is missing?

*--*
*Att*

*Luis Santos*