System calibration

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 07:20:12 -0400

Oracle 19c has parameters MAX_IOPS and MAX_MBPS which set the values that used to be set by using dbms_resource_manager.calibrate_io procedure. Does that mean that we can now use SLOB or bonnie++ to determine the IO system performance instead of running the notoriously unreliable calibrate_io? From the documentation, I got the impression that this is sort of a hard limit:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/refrn/MAX_IOPS.html#GUID-7D89F457-0CE6-4152-98EA-7F1BE4E0ADC7

On the other hand, calibrate_io was previously used only for determining the automatic degree of parallelism and wasn't set as a hard limit. The new mechanism will make the processes wait should the IO rate exceeds the one defined by parameters. Will the optimizer use this or SYS.RESOURCE_IO_CALIBRATE$ to determine the automatic degree of parallelism, where that is enabled? We can have one value in the parameters and something completely different in SYS.RESOURCE_IO_CALIBRATE$.
--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

--