Re: How to simulate/generate the wait event "enq: IV - contention"

From: Andy Sayer <andysayer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 15:45:29 +0100

Hi Kunwar,

IMO that is a backwards way of tackling the problem. You should look at everything you can about the waiting when it actually happened - not try to replicate similar symptoms and fix those. If diagnostics pack licence has been purchased you will have a goldmine if information you can look at in gv$active_session_history (or the dba_hist version). Have a look at what was blocked and when, what were they trying to execute? What were all the parameters of the wait? What was the blocker doing? Remember you will have to look over all instances.

This wait event is mainly about syncing object invalidations between instances. So look at what DDL occurred around the time of the event (look at dba_objects.last_ddl_time for clues, otherwise you might get lucky with ASH - but you’ll only be able to see the command type rather than the SQL for most DDL). If DDL is logged, then check there.

Hope this helps,
Andy