Re: Hyphenated user names

From: Adric Norris <landstander668_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 09:14:55 -0500

You actually can connect using such a username, but it's a bit of a PITA due to the quoting requirements.

[SYSTEM_at_test ] SQL> create user "test-user" identified by "boGus1234%";

User created.

[SYSTEM_at_test ] SQL> grant create session to "test-user";

Grant succeeded.

[SYSTEM_at_test ] SQL> select username from dba_users where lower(username) like 'test%';

USERNAME

test-user

[SYSTEM_at_test ] SQL> conn "test-user"/boGus1234%_at_test Connected.

Specifying credentials on the command line may require nested quotes (likely depending upon platform), since the shell removes the outermost set before launching the client.

$ sqlplus '"test-user"_at_testdr'

SQL*Plus: Release 18.0.0.0.0 - Production on Thu May 9 09:11:09 2019 Version 18.5.0.0.0

Copyright (c) 1982, 2018, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter password:
Last Successful login time: Thu May 09 2019 09:09:08 -05:00

Connected to:
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage Management, OLAP,
Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

Not that I'd actually *recommend* doing this... but it is possible.

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams