Re: Moving to flash storage

From: Miroslav Potocky <miroslav.potocky_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 14:14:11 +0200

Ad. Advanced compression option:

Most of all-flash storage I know includes some kind of transparent compression directly on storage level so you can save on Oracle licenses there. For NetApp FAS8080 I'm certain there is storage level in-line compression available (included in base license).

As for the move to all-flash. If you are considering top-tier enterprise level stuff like NetApp FAS8080 even without any changes on DB level you should get quite some improvement and most of your IO issues will either simply disappear or shift to network/DB level (YMMV). Also, watch for any downstream standby databases _not_ on all-flash. They'll be heavily hammered once primary is on SSDs.

Regards,
Miro P.