Re: DG for nologging

From: Arjen Visser <arjen.visser_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:32:36 +1300

Some disadvantages of SAN:

1)With database SAN replication you are replicating database data 3 times so quite inefficient and requiring more bandwidth. Once for all the changes in the data files, once for replicating redo, and once for replicating archive logs. With a standby database you are only replicating the changes once.
2)You do not know if your SAN replicated database will start if you really need it. With a standby database it is always running and ready to take over.
3) The replicated SAN database cannot be used for anything. The standby database can be used for offload reporting, offloading backups, feeding ETL etc.

Regards, Arjen