Re: DG for nologging

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 22:20:00 -0500

Replies in line:

On 03/06/2018 07:56 PM, Jeff Chirco wrote:
> When you say " Continuous Disk Replication" you must not be talking
> about storage based snapshots right?

Yes, I'm not talking about snapshots. Snapshots are discrete, not continuous.

> It replicates the disk on the fly?

It replicates disk synchronously. Every write request to the local disk is also sent to remote disk. It is like DG, only for physical devices.

> And is this a database consistent replication?

It guarantees disk consistency, if your network is wide enough.

> I question if the database will actually startup in a fail over
> situation.

It will. I was present during DR test for one of my clients which performed fail-over with Hitachi HDS replication. It went flawlessly.

> Maybe I am miss understanding.

As long as you don't misunderstimate things, you're OK.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant