Re: Oracle High Availability Question(s)

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 13:14:55 -0700

Personally, I found GG to be relatively intuitive, having worked with the old Oracle "symmetric/advanced replication", Quest SharePlex, and Oracle Streams packages previously.  Not to say it isn't complex of course, especially if you have a use-case like multi-master with conflict resolution, but I think it is among the best of breed for database replication.

However, I was fortunate in that we weren't deploying GG for production use.  We were exploring it on behalf of a large financial institution for their future use, so deliverables were vague and self-directed, lacking the discipline and urgency of an actual deployment with requirements and SLAs.

I don't envy you your situation.  If I understand correctly, you have the added burden of inheriting a broken deployment from someone even less experienced who exited mid-stream.  Everyone enjoys rolling up their sleeves and diving in on something new, but doing so when a deadline for production use looms is sub-optimal.  In this case, organizations are poorly served by over-optimism or lack of appreciation for complexity.

Training is nothing more than the sharing of experience.  It can take place organically, or formally via a paid service.

As the old saying says:  "Experience is what you get soon after you need it".