Re: Oracle High Availability Question(s)

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 13:27:25 -0700

Whether you have RAC licensing or not, anyone is far better off deploying Data Guard for high availability.

Data Guard is designed for high-availability and disaster-recovery first and foremost.  RAC is designed as a scalability solution first and foremost, and the only way Oracle gets away with marketing it as an availability solution is because RAC must include fault tolerance against node failure to even operate.  RAC is wonderful and mature software, but using it for availability is an adaptation.