Re: Comparing apples to apples on Exadata

From: Will Beldman <wbeldma_at_uwo.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 15:27:13 -0500

Yes, I understand. There's a few different possibilities and I'll have to dig deep.

Your blog post about direct path reads seems to be highly relevant. If I execute this query:
SELECT v$buffer_pool.buffers,dba_tables.blocks FROM v$buffer_pool, dba_tables WHERE table_name ='##TABLE_NAME##';

Here is what I see:
Database 1:

   BUFFERS BLOCKS

     33445 386032

Table blocks are greater than the buffer cache so a direct read is triggered (?)

Database 2:

   BUFFERS BLOCKS

    584588 434368

Table blocks are less than the buffer cache so a direct path read is not triggered (?)

Am I understanding this correctly? Would it make sense to consider *reducing* the buffer cache on Database 2? Does this force the database to bypass it's own buffer cache and consult the storage cache directly instead?