Re: Enterprise Manager warns of blocking on LGWR

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 09:16:30 +0000

Morning Mladen,

> Furthermore, duplexing redo logs is completely unnecessary. Duplexing is done by the
> storage (RAID 1+0 or some other form of RAID) and it is unnecessary to waste the
> expensive server CPU and IO capacity to do the job that storage does anyway.

Hmmm.

Not every company has the thought or foresight to RAID things plus, if somehow, someone deletes a RAIDed copy of a database file, the mirror will get deleted too, yes?

Be safe, duplex anyway, after all 'disc is cheap' as we are always told, and cpu isn't really a problem, especially if the disc controllers do it for you.

I've always duplexed redo and cintrol filrs, to separate discs, since I was a wee fledgling DBA - but I have to say that it did prove necessary, once only. Junior DBA deleted a file, luckily there was a duplex.

Cheers,
Norm.