Re: Simple Insert tuning

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 22:49:52 +0000

Evening Sanjay,

I recently had a similar problem to work out for a friend who is a developer but doesn't/didn't have a dba to consult. His problem was an insert taking 2048 (spooky number) seconds to insert the first row, all the following rows were almost instant.

A 10046, level 12 trace showed the problem was related to dynamic stats being gathered prior to the first EXEC of the insert. The stats were being gathered on various SYS objects. It appeared that the sys schema and dictionary stats were never gathered on his database. After gathering (both) the insert problem vanished.

I fully agree with the other poster (sorry, forgot your name) who suggested tracing as the way to find out. It will show you exactly where Oracle spent its time.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Norm.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Nov 30 2017 - 23:49:52 CET