Re: High Concurrency Wait

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 19:43:35 -0500

Hi Sanjay!

That used to be known as "buffer busy wait". The problem is in a set of blocks within a segment, which is accessed by multiple sessions simultaneously. As only a single session can have a X mode pin, the others have to wait. In 11.2, Oracle  needles and pins (another song reference from the 80's for Mark) were completely rewritten to be much cheaper, but they are still rather expensive. That type of access swarm usually happens on an index blocks, so the first solution is to try reverse ordered index, which would scatter those frequently accessed index rows. That is not possible if the index is used for range scans, which are not possible with reverse ordered indexes. You can also try using result cache. Another trick is to switch the database execution mode to threaded, which makes pins and mutexes much cheaper, since they are user mode objects.

You can find the hot blocks by turning on _DB_BLOCK_HOT_TRACKING and checking X$KSLHOT table which gets populated when this parameter is turned on. Typical result in your situation would show < 10 blocks which are very hot. You will then have to map them to the segment to see where the trouble is and probably address it from the application side.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant