RE: [OffTopic] Curiosity about vision of the future for dba oracle ...

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 15:23:48 -0500

Hmm. I think you actually agree with what I wrote. (except perhaps my autocorrect typo of through in place of throw).

Until a problem that hardware cannot solve is reached things look good. That is sooner or later depending on the customer (and there is a tendency of all-cloud customers to use relatively simple vendor applications, and it is the vendor responsibility to correct problems that more hardware cannot solve.) When things are more complex and the price/performance experience becomes bad compared to the perception and/or reality that either a private cloud or private on-premise solutions would be better, we get a return to using reasonable level talent.

But some, perhaps a lot, of the total goes for a time sharing solution (er, cloud experience) because they have not reached that threshold where either the perception or reality they need their own professionals. The big leaders who were first to try out time sharing (and who probably had the savvy to choose areas of the business that played well on the cloud) initially had a good experience which diminished as applications that were more marginally suited to timesharing were deployed to the cloud.

This still puts pressure on the DBA (and especially the operations focused DBA) job pool. A big piece of operational DBA job functions that are relatively easy to completely automate will be automated. That is a good thing, but it will eliminate some of the uncreative jobs that involved training rather than thinking axiomatically. I suspect you already avoid (and/or have priced yourself out of) the marketplace for those jobs. And you probably automate a lot of boring things yourself if the customer has not purchased the appropriate tools.

That puts you in the part of the job pool that will probably never dry up completely: Building applications that function reasonably and configuring systems and databases to run reasonable applications reasonably. Not actually overseeing them running except as perhaps a burn in phase to verify sufficiently meeting service levels or brief periods to correct something (such as something that needs to be parallel to meet service levels that is not running at the correct level of parallelism).

Notably I wrote that it is too complex to predict the direction of the overall DBA job pool except for the bits that are tedious and reasonably automatable. Whether on-site or cloud time sharing or private dedicated cloud, in the long run no one will want to pay human rates for things that can be automated. (They may continue to pay for overseers watching out that the automation has not failed, but the fan-in of number of databases per DBA of this sort will continuously rise and the real money will go to the folks who make the per database cost of verifying that the automation is working properly goes down.)

There is still some demand for COBOL programmers, and the price is getting steeper as they die off. Strictly operational DBAs (notably different from dev-ops DBAs) are in real danger of being completely supplanted and I suspect that job function will disappear before the need for COBOL programmers disappears.

Denizens of oracle-l are more likely in the part of the pool you are. Whether you work for one or a few individual clients or an expertise aggregator in the future, your value will remain as long as there is a need for new functionality. (Hint: The sun will burn out before folks stop wanting new features.)

mwf