Re: Anyone Using In-Memory?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:36:21 -0400

Hi Scott,

I haven't yet seen a customer using it. I've played with it a bit, using demo schemas and it seems to work well. However, I haven't done any extensive testing of a real world application. The word "played" is the operative word here. My impression is that in-memory caching makes the most sense for low cardinality columns, i.e. the columns with small number of distinct values like the gender column.

The problem is the price and the fact that the same capability is available form DB2 10+, SQL Server 2016 or MariaDB at much lower price. This capability is great if you're building a data warehouse. The first database which came up with that technology was DB2 with its "Blu Acceleration", almost a full year before Oracle. DB2 on Linux is now on version 11, the technology has matured and is now very reliable.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA