Re: Lightweight method for testing database backup processes

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:31:49 -0400

8 restores a week? Really? I work for a backup vendor and I normally don't do that many restores. I performed such a number of restores only after major disasters. I haven't lost a database since 1992. when tape backup (9600 BPI Fujitsu reel tape) was found to be corrupted.

Most of the modern backup software has built in scheduler and it is possible to run "recover validate database" on schedule. There is also job validation which validates checksums, without actually connecting to Oracle. Forcing the younglings to do 8 RMAN restores a week looks like cruel and unusual punishment. Hopefully, you don't use whips? This is what comes to my mind when I hear about 8 restores per week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_xnfQMSzXQ

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA