Re: Lightweight method for testing database backup processes

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:32:01 -0400

On 08/21/2017 11:04 AM, Matthew Parker wrote:

> Most organizations who have to participate in any type of compliance
> requirements such as SOX Compliance are required to test their backups.

And most organizations do perform such testing. Such practice is called "DR test" and usually occurs once or twice per year. Testing on daily or weekly schedule is something unusual, even if it's only done using "restore validate".
Further more, the OP proposed testing backup/restore of a specific tablespace. I don't see how correctness of the tablespace backup guarantees the correctness of the full or incremental database backup? That looks like a faith based testing strategy. Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA