Re: troubleshooting ssl to port 2484 using tnsping

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 11:33:07 -0400

Actually, "nc" is much better than "telnet". The "netcat" utility, also known as "nc" is a veritable Swiss army knife of networking. The command to verify whether the port is responding would be

    nc -v -z -w 3 myhost 2484

That would send out a verbose output (-v) for using zero size messages (-z) and waiting for 3 seconds for a reply (-w 3). Here is an example:

    mgogala_at_umajor:~$ nc -v -z -w 3 umajor 80     Connection to umajor 80 port [tcp/http] succeeded!     mgogala_at_umajor:~$

Before the SQLcl command interpreter that has tnsping built in, I was using a nc-based Perl script called "tnsping" to do that. And it worked just fine, parsing the relevant part of tnsnames.ora was not a problem. For all those Python lovers,there is even a CPAN module for netcat:

http://search.cpan.org/~vgirish/Net-Netcat-0.05/lib/Net/Netcat.pm

And some comments about the eternal Perl vs. Python debate: Python is consistently object oriented. Perl is not. Given that the most of the application software is written using the OO paradigm, Python is probably better for the application writing. However, quick one-off scripts, so frequently written by system and database administrators are usually not object oriented and do not have well defined set of objects to operate on. For such tasks Perl, with its unsurpassed ability to parse strings and the myriad of readily available CPAN modules, is still the best tool for the job. That is why Perl so stubbornly refuses to die, despite the fact that so many "programming gurus" have declared it obsolete. Perl has users, droves of them. Lastly, the idea that indentation matters reminds me of Completely Oudated and Badly Overused Language, or COBOL, for short.

OO languages also tend to be very verbose. Both Java and Python are good examples. Perl can be very short and concise. Snippet like this:

while (<>) {

     chomp;

     next if /^\s*#/;

          do_something;

    }

}

is definitely not following the OO canon, but is very useful and frequently used in Perl scripts. I have yet to find language which can cram more operations in such a small amount of code.

Finally, to end on the Trumpian note: we should use things made in America, by a guy named Larry, not some suspicious foreign stuff, invented by a guy named Guido. And we can build beautiful scripts, the best scripts in the world and Guido will pay for them....

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA