Re: DB move (with encrypted Data) to new Server ......

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hpe.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 20:35:26 +0000

I believe the data will be readable. It should be easy enough to test by exporting one table which uses encryption, importing it, then querying it via a code path that works on the existing system (any query that provides the encryption key).

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Janardhana Babu Donga <jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu> Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 3:08:22 PM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: DB move (with encrypted Data) to new Server ......

I need to move a database from one server to another server (different platform). So, I am using expdp/impdp instead of RMAN. The existing database has lots of encrypted columns (created using DBMS_CRYPTO package).

OLD Server: Linux 5, Oracle 11.2.0.3, ASM New Server: Linux 6, Oracle 11.2.0.4, ACFS

Will they be readable on the new platform after the move? Do I compulsorily need to decrypt before expdp/impdp? Appreciate any help.