RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Enterprise Manager 12c and Database 11g install users on Linux

From: <peter.sharman_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 04:57:07 +0800

CAVEAT: I no longer work for Oracle so have no inside information on this. While Courtney is correct from a binaries point of view, the OTN license specifically states software downloaded from OTN is NOT licensed for Production use.  So if you want a licensed copy, you need to download from edelivery.   Question for Donald - you didn't mention whether you were after the EM agent on Solaris, or the entire product - which were you after? Given the recent layoffs in the Solaris development organization, I would be rather careful about using Solaris as a base for anything, but if you want just the agent it may well be out sooner than the entire product.  Again, read the caveat above. :) Coming back to Jeffrey's original question, you now have two very knowledgeable people giving you two different answers.  Seth says it's not good practice for the EM software to be owned by the same (e.g. "oracle") user as the database software, and from a separation of duties perspective he's probably right.  Courtney says they can be owned by the same user, and of course she is right too. :) So how do you determine what way to go?  What it probably boils down to is whether EM is owned and managed by a different group to the database kernel.  If it is, separation of duties is a Good Thing (TM), and you should go with Seth's answer.  If they are done by the same group, or even the same person as is often the case in smaller shops, separation of duties just gives you another account to remember the password for, and you should go with Courtney's answer. I'll now stand back and watch them both defend their perspectives.  :) Pete ----- Original Message ----- From: courtney.llamas_at_oracle.com To:, , Cc:"oracle-l-freelists" , "oracle-db-l" Sent:Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:44:55 -0800 (PST) Subject:RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Enterprise Manager 12c and Database 11g install users on Linux There is no difference between what is available on OTN and eDelivery as far as the OEM binaries and installs are concerned. -----Original Message----- From: Freeman, Donald G. CTR [mailto:donald.freeman.ctr_at_ablcda.navy.mil] Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:42 PM To: christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com; JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org Cc: oracle-l-freelists; oracle-db-l Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Enterprise Manager 12c and Database 11g install users on Linux Hi all, I'm late joining the conversation and we've just gotten OEM authorized for further new environment builds that we will start in a few weeks. We had a discussion about "latest available" and I looked today and 13C for Solaris 64-sparc was not available on the Oracle Cloud e-delivery site. I don't want to download production software from OTN. None of us have built OEM for a long time so this will be a pretty new experience for us. Is the problem that they just haven't delivered a Solaris Sparc version yet? Should we wait? Ask? This is just one aspect of a very large build that I'm trying to deal with. Donald Freeman -----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:28 PM To: JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org Cc: oracle-l-freelists; oracle-db-l Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Enterprise Manager 12c and Database 11g install users on Linux Yes. Quick caveat: Might want to skip 12c and goto EM 13c. 12c is a pain after the browser updates that came out for SSL security violations. I haven't installed 13c yet but 12c was kind of nightmarish when your browsers won't let you into the 12c configuration panels due to security violations. Chris On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Beckstrom Jeffrey wrote: Can the install user for both of these products be the same? Jeffrey Beckstrom Lead Database Administrator Information Technology Department Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street Cleveland, Ohio 44113 -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l