Re: Migrate from AIX to Linux

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 21:03:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi Deepak,

> What are some 'low-cost good-quality' tools that you can recommend (or have an experience with), to compare performance before we cut-over to Linux?

The best and most effective "low-cost" tool is code instrumentation (e.g. DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO, DBMS_SESSION or its driver equivalents + recording). You can easily compare the performance, if you measure and record your applications / business processes. However this needs to be implemented by the developers and is not a plain database feature, which can be enabled.

> I have also read about BenchMark factory, HammerOra, JMeter, SwingBench and SLOB. Any thoughts?

All of these tools have different scopes. I used SLOB for platform I/O performance, SwingBench for synthetic (TPC like) application tests and JMeter for replay of the real application load / behavior. However JMeter needs to be setup by your developers and application owners as it needs to be recorded.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK