RE: emctl start blackout not working. database does not exist, but listtargets lists the database!!

From: Brian Pardy <brianpa_at_burton.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:03:15 +0000

Chris Grabowy wrote:
[...]
> One database seems to have issues with start blackout...it says that the pad4009
> database does not exist:
>
> oracle_at_XXXXux51$ /opt/oracle/agent12c/core/12.1.0.3.0/bin/emctl start
> blackout ColdBackup pad4009:oracle_database Oracle Enterprise Manager
> Cloud Control 12c Release 3 Copyright (c) 1996, 2013 Oracle Corporation. All
> rights reserved.
> Blackout start Error : the oracle_database target "pad4009" does not exist
> oracle_at_XXXXux51$
>
> So I ask it to give me a list of targets and it lists pad4009 as a database target:
>
> oracle_at_XXXXux51$ emctl config agent listtargets Oracle Enterprise Manager
> 10g Database Control Release 10.2.0.4.0 Copyright (c) 1996, 2007 Oracle
> Corporation. All rights reserved.
> [XXXXux51.XXXX.com, host]
> [pad4009, oracle_database]
> [LISTENER_DWHPRD04_XXXXux51.XXXX.com, oracle_listener]
>
> Huh?? How can it list the database target but when I attempt to black it out
> then it states that it does not exist.

In your first command output, you're calling emctl with a full path from the EM12c agent's core directory (you can see the "Cloud Control 12c Release 3" tag).

In your second command output, you're calling emctl from your $PATH, from somewhere else, probably the database home directory (you can see the "Database Control Release 10.2.0.4.0" tag).

It appears that the pad4009 database is not a known target within your EM12c Cloud Control environment, and that the pad4009 database is configured with a local database control instance. You need to discover this database within Cloud Control and promote it as a managed target before the agent will know about it to black it out. Or, if Cloud Control is actually sending you alerts when this database goes down, you need to find what other name was used when it was registered in EM12c.

-Brian
†Ûiÿü0ÁúÞzX¬¶Ê+ƒün– {ú+iÉ^ Received on Fri Apr 25 2014 - 16:03:15 CEST

Original text of this message