Re: Force users to use Active DG for reporting

From: Andy Wattenhofer <watt0012_at_umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:52:13 -0500

There are a lot of elaborate solutions being suggested. If you develop a special elaborate solution for this, you're opening the door to a legacy of supporting what is in effect an elaborate hack. Unless you're looking for more job security, I would run away from anything like that.

Access plus ODBC is a hack-ish setup to begin with. So I would propose an appropriately hack-ish solution: link all the RO tables and add the prefix "reporting" to their linked names, and pre-pend the RW table names with something scary like "OLTP". Instruct users to use the reporting tables when they want to run reports, and likewise OLTP for data entry. Regardless of whether they are running reports or entering data, they use the same Access file. The barrier of having to think about which Oracle database they are connecting to is removed.

Andy

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Ricard Martinez <ricard.martinez_at_gmail.com

--
Andy Wattenhofer
Manager, Database Administration