Question about VIP failover and accepting connections

From: Jure Bratina <jure.bratina_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:30:06 +0100

Hi,

Is there any specific reason why a failed over VIP can't accept connections after failing over to another node (like an application VIP does for
"non-database" connections) and is relocated only to avoid clients waiting
on TCP/IP timeouts? I know that the listener on the surviving node doesn't listen on the failed over VIP. Also, if clients use connect time failover
"(FAILOVER=ON)" or if they use a SCAN address, they won't get any errors
upon connecting and will connect successfully to a working node. Anyway, I'm curious why the failed over VIP isn't transparently added to the listener's listening endpoints.

I've been testing on 11.2.0.4

Thank you and regards,
Jure Bratina