Oracle database appliance X4-2

From: anthony Sanchez <anthonycsanchez_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:38:58 -0700

Hi folks,

We are looking to move a virtualized, memory and IO bound database from vmware to a physical machine with dedicated storage. We are considering the Oracle database appliance X4-2 (bare metal, no oracle vm, RAC).

current env:
 vmware 5
RH 5.9
Oracle 11.2.0.3 with partitioning and advanced compression ~800GB
HP Left Hand San P4000 (three of them, RAID 10) oracle license tied to an app with NO cpu restrictions small overworked infrastructure team tired of hearing me complain about performance

IO is currently our biggest issue as our SAN is not quite enterprise level and is heavily abused, especially by this db server. We are currently seeing ~30 millisecond latency on average. There are 35 vm's sitting on this SAN.

I'd like to know if any other folks out there have any experience with this hardware and if so,

how does it perform?
Does it meet your expectations?
Was it as quick to setup as Oracle says? How long to setup in your shop? How seamless is patching through the appliance manager? How frequently are you replacing disks?
Quality of support from oracle on appliance issues? gotchas?
etc, etc

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

thanks!

Anthony